Sunday, December 18, 2011

Big News

Well...I found out earlier this week...

I GOT A WILDLIFE JOB!!



*Cheering and applause*


It's been since last summer that I had a job. During that one I worked as an intern for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and I enjoyed every minute of it. So when I heard that I'd landed this new job, I literally jumped up and down.

Why so excited?

Well, aside from the fact that I'm flat broke, and it's relatively hard to find a job right now, and it's a wildlife job...It's working with Whitetail Deer!

I'm helping out a PH.D student with his project through the University of Florida. The study involves examining the effects of Coyotes on Whitetail Deer. In order to do this, I'll get to essentially hunt does with night vision goggles and a tranquilizer gun, radio collar them, and later use telemetry to track them down and check on the fawns. Two different areas will be compared to examine deer mortality with the presence and absence of coyote control.

Oh yeah...and I'll be getting paid to do this. The study is on a large piece of private land that I've also been given access to hunt and fish on. So excited isn't even the right word.

This job sounds like -exactly- the kind of experience I'd like and I'm truly thankful (and lucky) to have gotten it. I start in February, so hopefully I'll start getting pictures and what not by then. 'Till, then, I'll just have to fill my time with some fishing reports (that should be coming soon as well).

6 comments:

  1. That is awesome, i am in the same situation as you over here in California, it gives me a lot of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very cool. Coyotes are a plague up here in N. MI. I've seen several chases- coyotes actively hunting deer, and know they have an impact. Have fun, and happy hunting and fishing. And working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome dude! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations man! That sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what's better, that you get paid or that you get to fish on private property. My money's on the private fishing;)

    ReplyDelete