Monday, October 24, 2011

Outdoor Photography

Taking pictures while out hunting or fishing is sometimes quite a challenge for me. Usually, I only take pictures when I'm kind of bored, or see something -very- interesting. When I'm not bored (catching fish/seeing deer) I tend to not take pictures.

This isn't on purpose, of course. But when things get exciting in the outdoors, I seem to just forget to snap pictures. I often get -too- into the moment and then afterward think to myself: Dang....I should have taken a picture of that.

What I take pictures of seems to be rather repetitive. I like to target slow/stationary objects most of the time simply for ease. Sunsets or sunrises, caught fish, smooth water, and storms comprise most of my computer's photo galleries.
Storm in the 'Glades
Sunrise in Pensacola
My Tarpon

Now, I'd love to snap a great picture of that Bald Eagle, those Turkeys, or that doe and her fawn, but usually their either too far away, or gone too quickly.
There's a swallow-tailed kite in this picture...I swear.
One of the reasons I don't usually snap photos of such quick things is because of my camera. Don't get me wrong...I absolutely LOVE my camera. It's waterproof down to 10 feet, shock proof, and generally just a tough little digital camera. But it has its limits. There isn't much of a zoom for those far away shots, and if anything moves with any speed, the picture is blurry. I could probably solve the blurring part, but I don't generally walk around with my camera set to 'sports' mode.

One of my hunting/fishing buddies, Stan, was kind enough to send me some of his pictures he's taken. I honestly had no idea he even took pictures while out in the field, much less such good ones. Pictures like these are the kind of things I'd like to try taking one of these days. But I think I need a slightly different camera first.





For those of you who take a lot of outdoor photos: What kind of camera do you use? I'd like something with a good bit of zoom and can take high quality pictures at a distance. But at the same time I'd like it to be (relatively) small and durable enough so that when I drop it, it doesn't burst into flames. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. I have a Canon Powershot S3 that I've had for a couple years and I love it. It's definately not a pocket camera tho. It's more bulky, but it takes great pictures, video and the zoom and macro on it work really well. I had a pocket camera for awhile, but I much prefer this camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Canon Rebel XTi and 60D. Both are great and can share the same lenses. A little pricey but well worth it, don't skimp on the lenses, that's what takes the photos from good to great. No matter what camera you use, practice makes perfect.

    www.takingawalkonthewildside.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kim and @Darren: How do ya'll usually carry these when you go out in the field? In a bag? Pocket? I've got a way to carry it in the kayak, but not sure about when I go hunting.

    Also, how durable are those two cameras? They both look great, but durability is something I -really- need. It's not a matter of 'if' but 'when' I take a fall, trip into a creek, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great work. They are really beautiful that I couldn't describe how i feel toward such amazing natural photo. I do hope you will provide us such gorgeous picture again........ www.roygroething.com | Photographers in NJ

    ReplyDelete