Sunday, May 16, 2010

A long trip

Note: The following few posts are dated back to last week. Limited internet access has made it difficult to get a blog rolling.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010: Drove the grueling drive from Pensacola to Gainesville, then Gainesville to Kenansville today. Kenansville is about an hour south of Orlando and is the closest “town” to the Prairie Lakes WMA. I’m currently working for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) as an intern here at the Prairie Lakes WMA. I’m currently staying in a trailer/cabin here on the WMA itself. The entire area out here looks almost like the everglades except instead of saw grass as far as you can see, it’s palmetto. I’ve pretty much dragged everything I could think of plus the kitchen sink down here in the Jeep. Tomorrow should be exciting as I get to go out in the field and start my job. Over the course of the summer I will be able to do many different things such as assisting on controlled burns and spotlighting deer at night. Tomorrow, however, I will be dealing with Red Cockaded Woodpeckers (RWC’s), a federally endangered bird which is found in this area.


No comments:

Post a Comment