Sunday, April 28, 2013

First Decent fish of 2013 (Updated with pics)


As I drove the old Chevy across the dam, I was met with an amazing sunrise that laid out the lake before me. The calm water was practically begging to have a top water lure thrown across it and I could barely keep from driving too fast in my excitement. The banging of the aluminum canoe in the bed was a reminder to drive slowly, lest I lose the boat in the middle of the dirt road. 


In its usual fashion, the wind kicked up the moment the boat touched the water. I'm not sure how many of you have ever paddled an empty canoe by yourself in high winds, but it's probably considered a form of torture in some countries. Somehow I managed to get the boat to the far side of the lake and a little out of the wind. 

After only a few casts along the Lilly pads, the water under my topwater erupted and the fight was on. The wind had, of course, caught the canoe and began crashing it into all sorts of objects as I attempted to land the fish. But against all odds, I pulled the hefty little bass alongside the boar and lipped it. 

I recently purchased an iPhone (which I'm writing this with...in case anything looks weird), and I'm still trying to get used to taking pictures with it. Since I was by myself, this was the best picture I could get. I figured the fish went about 4lbs. Soon after this, the wind picked up even more and I was forced to call it quits. The canoe was simply too much for me to control alone. 

In the not too distant future, I should have some coworkers with me to help weigh the canoe down a bit. To add, I'll be picking up my kayak in about two weeks so the whole "canoe" thing will be short lived. With it, I'll be grabbing my 8wt fly rod and with any luck, I'll be landing some good bass on the fly. Only time will tell. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment